FAQs About Residential Service Providers

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Thank you for your interest in developing a residential facility to serve individuals with developmental disabilities. It is imperative that you review our most current Requests for Proposals (RFP) before you plan to open a residential home. Please go to www.nlacrc.org for our current resource needs. The RFPs have a description of the services needed and their basic requirements. Some additional frequently asked questions about the process of becoming a residential service provider are provided here to assist you.

1. I want to open a home for people with developmental disabilities. What are the requirements to be vendored as a residential service provider?

The regulations pertaining to vendorization of residential facilities by a regional center are contained in Title 17 of the California Code of Regulations. The most important requirement for a prospective residential vendor is Experience. A prospective vendor must demonstrate that they have the knowledge and skills required to operate a facility and to work effectively with the consumers they wish to serve. The administrator of Service Level 2, 3 or 4 facilities must have a minimum of six months to one year of prior experience providing direct supervision and special services to persons with developmental disabilities in a Service Level 2, 3, or 4 facilities. This must be paid, full-time (a minimum of 35-40 hours per week, during active programming time), professional direct care experience providing consumers with specialized training, treatment, and supervision. This experience should be with the same population you are interested in serving (age group, level of functioning, degree of self-care or behavior deficits, etc.) You must be able to document your direct care experience with evidence such as letters of reference, pay stubs, and records that your fingerprints are on file with Community Care Licensing or the Department of Public Health.

The second requirement is completion of the Residential Services Orientation. This 9 week course is offered by NLACRC twice per year in the Spring and Fall. Registration is an online process through EventBrite. As soon as the next registration period is open an EventBrite link will be provided. Please check back for updates for the next session.

2. What residential services does NLACRC need?

For residential resource needs please see the current resource development RFPs.

NLACRC seeks residential services from providers who can demonstrate that they possess the values, experience, knowledge, and skills necessary to work successfully with consumers who have service needs which may include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Independent living and mobility skill deficits
• Severely disruptive and self-injurious behaviors
• Significant self-care deficits requiring assistance with activities of daily living
• Medical conditions requiring specialized care
• Physical and mental deterioration due to issues of aging
• Mental illness including a history of psychiatric hospitalizations
• Judicial involvement or forensic histories
• Relocation from a State Developmental Center into the community

3. How large of a facility can I open?

New residential programs may be approved to serve a maximum of six (6) consumers. Service Level 4 facilities are developed to serve a maximum of four (4) consumers. Sometimes the vendored capacity of a program is further limited by the size of the home or the size or the bedrooms. The regional center may vendor a facility for less than its licensed capacity.

4. I already completed the Residential Services Orientation at another regional center. Does that count in the NLACRC area?

No. Each regional center offers its own Residential Services Orientation, and each regional center has varying policies and procedures. You must complete the Residential Services Orientation offered by the regional center in whose area you wish to open your facility.

5. What geographic area does NLACRC cover?

The NLACRC service area includes the San Fernando Valley, Santa Clarita Valley, and Antelope Valley. Programs that are located in these areas may be vendored by NLACRC. Programs located outside of these areas must be vendored by the regional center that covers the area of their location.

6. If I want to open a residential facility, what should I do?

If you are interested in becoming a residential service provider, do the following:
• Obtain the required experience working directly with individuals with developmental disabilities in a vendored residential setting.
• After you have at least 6 months of residential experience, you should begin periodically checking this website for the announcement of the open registration period for RSO. Registration is only conducted online through EventBrite.
• Both the applicant’s conferences for RFPs and course content during RSO provide explanation of the process to become vendored.

7. I already have a home. Should I get it licensed now?

No. You are advised NOT to proceed with the purchase or lease of a property intended for development of a residential facility or the licensure of a facility until you meet all minimum qualifications and receive approval from NLACRC for the development of your proposed program. See the current Resource Development RFPs on this website.

8. After I am vendored, when will I get consumers?

There is no way to predict how soon any vendor will receive referrals or placements. Vendorization by a regional center does NOT guarantee that consumers will ever be placed into a facility. Consumers are referred for specific residential services based upon their individual needs and preferences, as well as the program services and quality of care provided by each facility.

9. Where can I find out more information concerning regulations governing the operation of residential facilities?

The Department of Developmental Services (DDS) has a website which contains information about services available for individuals with Developmental Disabilities and Title 17’s vendorization requirements. The DDS website is www.dds.ca.gov. The complete text of Title 17 California Code of Regulations and the Lanterman Act can be accessed via this website.

For information about licensing requirements for community care facilities, you may access the Community Care Licensing web site

For more information about the North Los Angeles County Regional Center, you can access our website at www.nlacrc.org.

View Full Site